Guyana Water Incorporated wishes to advise members of the General public that with immediate effect, all sewer modification works on the Georgetown Sewerage System, will be executed by the company. As such, property owners in Central Georgetown would not be allowed to hire contractors to execute works on GWI’s sewerage system. This position was taken for the following reasons:
- The Water and Sewerage Act prohibits unlicensed sanitary contractors from doing any works on the sewerage system
- Management has observed that much of the works being done by these contractors are either contrary to the plumbing code or substandard.
Guyana Water Incorporated has taken note of recent the upsurge of improper construction of sewer chambers and the illegal connections to the Georgetown Sewerage system, and has therefore taken the following position in accordance with the Laws of Guyana Water and Sewerage ACT 2002 – Sections’ 56-62.
With immediate effect:
- No building shall be constructed or reconstructed in any sewerage area unless GWI, has first approved of the building plan, the associated water closet, connection to the house sewer and any alteration to the house sewer already constructed.
- Further, the location, dimensions, and material for construction of every house sewer shall be subject to the approval of the Company. (Section 58, subsection (2) or (3))
- Any person who fails to comply with subsection (2) or (3) shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable to penalties prescribed under paragraph (b) of the Second Schedule.
- A fine of not less than GYD$15,000 nor more than GYD$50,000 and imprisonment of 3 months.
- During regular inspections, if any house sewer, inspected under Section 59 of ACT, is found in a bad condition or requires alteration or repairs, GWI shall execute such works or any other works considered necessary or expedient and shall recover from the owner, the expenses incurred in so doing. (Section 59 (3) and (4)).
- N:B All connections shall be none by GWI. Therefore with immediate effect, No contractor or property owner is permitted to do any work on the Georgetown Sewerage System.
By order of Guyana Water Incorporated Management